Last fall I moved to Bloomington, Minnesota. I didn’t board an airplane, nor did I cross an ocean, but I moved away from the place that I’d called home for the previous twenty-two years. For someone who doesn’t like change, this was a huge transition. I vividly remember my senior year of high school in River Falls. Almost everyone in my graduating class couldn’t wait to pack their bags and head out to bigger and better things. I, on the other hand, was so grateful that there was a great university in my home town. I would be able to get my undergrad while living at home, saving some money by doing so and continuing to be able to spend my time with my favorite people, my family.
My move to Bloomington was a good experience. I lived by myself in a small apartment over the last year and had fun meeting a lot of new people. I didn’t like the time that I spent alone. I like being around other people all the time. I often invited friends in the apartment building over for dinner or to watch television together. It’s funny when you’ve never lived alone and then suddenly to be faced with a whole lot of alone time.
Along with the transition to a new “home”, I also started school at a new college for dental hygiene. I loved this transition. It was great to finally be taking the classes that relate to what I’ll be doing in my career. We spent our second semester working in clinic and already have built up clientele that will be coming to visit us again in the fall. The transition of starting at a new school made the transition to a new living situation much easier. Many of the women in my hygiene class also live around the area and we were able to spend time outside of school together.
The transition of moving away from home made me grow as an individual and learn more about myself. How would you describe your experience of moving away from home for the first time? Was it an overall great experience or did you face challenges that you hadn’t anticipated?
I moved 4 hours away to college. I was pretty excited about it even though I didn't know anyone at my school. I was really shy my first year so it took a while to make good friends. Still, I was really happy. I loved the independence. Every person in my family loves living in our hometown. I am the complete opposite. Adventure is my game. while there's been benefits to being back home for a couple years, I'm more than ready to be on my way again.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest challenge I faced was money. I went to a rather expensive college and this meant I had to work full-time, sometimes more, to pay all my bills. At one point, I was working 60 hours a week while going to school full-time. I was a zombie. Another challenge I faced is when I got a herniated disc during the basketball season my junior year. I lost my ability to walk. I didn't start sitting down until eight months after my injury. I didn't realize I would face these challenges, but every time I came out the other side I felt really strong and alive.
ReplyDeleteI moved to college, I was moving to the entire other end of the state, and I was really excited and terrified. I quickly got over the terrified part. I really enjoyed campus, and the autonomy of being away from my family. I really enjoyed the independence. There were definitely challenges that I hadn't anticipated, I had never had independence before, so leaning the responsibilities that came with it was hard, but rewarding. Overall, I would say much more good than bad.
ReplyDeleteWhen I moved to college, it was hard for me as I am not a very social person. I would rather walk around and figure things out than to ask for help on how or where things are. I never went to the WOW activities my freshman year. I just sat in my dorm room and played on my computer. Another event that made me want to stay in my dorm room is the third night I was in my dorm my freshman year, I smelled this smell that was almost like burning garbage. I looked out my window and there were three people smoking weed on the ground (2 levels) below my window. My hometown is not a drug place but a drinking place. I was not sure what to do so I closed my window and went to bed. It was horrible because I couldn't sleep.
ReplyDeleteMy overall expierence was super scary at first and I hated it. I was scared to meet new people do new things. I kept worrying about who I would be hanging out with on the weekends or just in general. After I got to know people and started to know more about the town I loved it. It made me into a more outgoing person. I learned so much about myself and met so many new people. Alot of my friends whos stayed around town are the same as they were in high school and I am so glad I am not.
ReplyDeleteI think everyone faces challenges as they move away or move on from something. But it is a part of life and should only make you a stronger person.
My biggest transition was moving to the US to go to school. It was pretty much excting since I was about to meet my host family and other new people. Everything was different from my Japanese life and it was fun to find many differences in everyday life.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was with my host family, it was a great experience. They knew how to interact with people from other country, especially Asian girls, because they already had hosted so many students before. I didn't feel lonely at all and I felt like I had another family. However, when I moved to River Falls, it was super hard to have to say good bye to them. Goodbye is always the hardest to me.