Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Listing People of Different Ethnicities Proves to be Challenging

Messy is how I would describe my performance when asked to name males and females from different ethnic groups, from different time periods. What an eye-opening experience I’m sure most people would find this activity to be.
White Males were the easiest for me to come up with for each of the time periods. This can be attributed to the fact that they faced the fewest challenges in the history of this country. Until recently, every one of our presidents had been a white male. Most of the famous inventors, professors, artists, and etc that I know of are white males. This can be attributed to the historical fact that other groups were being oppressed. Another attributing factor is what has been taught in history classes in the United States in the past and continues to be taught today. From grade school through high school most of the history that I learned about was American history. I feel like there’s a great emphasis on the accomplishments of the United States, while it’s seems that the subject of the major mistakes and missteps that America has made is often tiptoed around. I feel like the history I was taught about the Native Americans was the version that the United States wants to remember instead of what really happened. When I watched “Far and Away” for the first activity for this class I was thinking of the Native Americans at the end of the film. It’s an American film and as a movie watcher we are suppose to find ourselves cheering for Joseph to get his land that he wants so badly. Instead, I found myself thinking of the Native Americans who had lived so peacefully with their surroundings, who had been so cruelly killed or removed from the place they called home. It wasn’t Joseph’s land for the taking; it shouldn’t have been anyone’s land for the taking. But that’s not a subject that American history focuses on. Instead of telling of a time of cruelty and devastation to the Native American population, there are the stories of the ambitious men and women with big and powerful dreams.
In addition to what I believe is a shortage of accuracy in American history; I think there are major shortcomings in the teaching of the history of other countries. I had difficulty coming up with names of anyone from the Middle East and I could only name a couple Asians and Latinos. The people that I did name were all Americans.
Although I put some blame of my performance on this quiz, on the history classes I had while growing up, I will take the majority of the blame. I think it's a personal responsibility to become as knowledgeable as possible about the world that we live in. You can't begin to judge issues or people or attempt to solve problems and make progress without being knowledgeable. And we have a responsibility to educate our young and continue to learn as adults.
The black males and females that I listed were all people associated with change of some kind. From the civil rights movement and more recently Barack and Michelle Obama. Sadly, when blacks are mentioned in American history books it is most often in relation to their efforts for equality. As time progresses and books are updated, hopefully this will someday not be the case.
Do you think it’s only America that is so grossly unaware of the histories of other countries? Do you feel the way that I do about what was taught in history classes as you were growing up? Do you think the stories are told more as we wish to remember them, rather than how they actually occurred?

4 comments:

  1. It is not only America that is unaware of other countries history, many countries do so to greater or lesser extents and no telling of history can be perfect. However, that is a justification for it in any context. Yes, I agree with you about the teachings in history classes and yes history is told as we would like it to be remembered, and not how it actually was. You make an excellent point in your posting about taking personal responsibility to educate yourself further. I applaud that effort, and think that others--myself included--should follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well everybody knows that a fish that was caught and measured and was 6", when the story is told to others, the fish is now 8 or 10". I am sure that there was some stretching of the truth and when the books were transferred to book. We cannot be for sure if what is written down is correct 100%, but all we can do is think that it is. If we thought it was wrong, there would be no way to tell what the real story was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think other countries also put more emphasis on their nation's history than on other countries. I also think it's likely that countries textbooks are probably tailored to the way they portray events. I had a love of history growing up and I have to say that is has been spurred on during my time abroad where I have learned the histories of other countries that I feel should be taught in school. When I went to Cambodia and saw the killing fields, mass graves, prisons, etc. I thought, "How come I learned about the Holocaust, but I never learned about this?" The sense of oppression there is still so strong, yet most people are unaware of the atrocities that occured there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I think everywhere is pretty much unaware of the histories of other countries. I think alot of other places focuses on themselves and how they can improve their own countries. I do think they tell us things more to what we want to remember then what we actually want to know!

    ReplyDelete